City Council Votes to Buy 2 Hotels: Will House 400 Homeless in December

Share This Article:
Residence Inn by Marriott at Kearny Mesa is sought for homeless housing.
Residence Inn by Marriott at Kearny Mesa will house hundreds of people experiencing homelessness. Image via Google Maps

The San Diego City Council took a major step Tuesday in its fight against homelessness, approving the purchase of two former hotel properties to create 332 permanent units for more than 400 San Diegans currently experiencing homelessness.

Support Times of San Diego’s growth
with a small monthly contribution

The council, which voted 9-0, approved spending $67 million for a former Residence Inn in the Hotel Circle area and $39.5 million for a former Residence Inn in the Kearny Mesa neighborhood —locations that are expected to be move-in ready by Dec. 31, 2020.

“Allowing people to live unsafely on the streets is not OK,” City Council President Georgette Gomez said. “Today, the council took a huge leap forward by creating 332 new apartments with supportive services for more than 400

Read More

San Diego’s homeless to transition out of convention center, into hotels by December with council approval

With the San Diego City Council’s approval, the city will convert two Residence Inn locations into fully furnished, move-in ready, apartment-style homes.

SAN DIEGO — The City of San Diego is expected to vote Tuesday on a major plan to turn two local hotels into housing for the homeless. With the San Diego City Council’s approval, the city will convert two Residence Inn locations  – one on Kearny Mesa Road and the one on Hotel Circle in Mission Valley – into fully furnished, move-in ready, apartment-style homes for about 400 homeless people.

The plan calls for many of them to move out of the San Diego Convention Center by December, where they’ve been temporarily housed during the pandemic. As of Monday, it was still housing about 1,000 people. 

“If there’s been any silver lining during this pandemic, it’s there’s fantastic work happening inside this building,” said Mayor Kevin Faulconer Monday,

Read More

Royal Caribbean cancels cruises until December

Royal Caribbean Group won’t resume U.S. cruises until at least December, the company announced Tuesday.

Cruises on its four brands — Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Azamara and Silversea — are canceled through Nov. 30 worldwide except for cruises from Hong Kong, which are on sale for November. The cruise industry first shut down passenger operations in mid-March amid outbreaks of COVID-19 on several cruise ships.

Last week the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention extended its cruise ban until Oct. 31. The CDC had planned to ban U.S. cruises until February 2021, but the White House overruled the agency.

Carnival Cruise Line canceled all U.S. cruises for November and December except for those that will leave from PortMiami and Port Canaveral, which are on track to restart Nov. 1. Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings, Disney Cruise Line and Virgin Voyages are selling cruises for December. MSC Cruises continues to

Read More

Norwegian Cruise Line cancels cruises until December after CDC no-sail order extended

MIAMI — Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings has canceled cruises on its three brands — Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas — until December.



a large ship in a body of water: Images of Norwegian Encore cruise ship during inaugural sailing from PortMiami on Nov. 21-24, 2019.


© Richard Tribou/Orlando Sentinel/TNS
Images of Norwegian Encore cruise ship during inaugural sailing from PortMiami on Nov. 21-24, 2019.

The announcement comes just days after the White House overruled a plan by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to ban U.S. cruises until February 2021. Instead, the agency extended its “no-sail order” through Oct. 31. Cruise operations stopped in the U.S. in mid-March amid COVID-19 outbreaks on several ships.

Carnival Cruise Line canceled all U.S. cruises for November and December except for those that will leave from PortMiami and Port Canaveral, which are on track to restart Nov. 1. Royal Caribbean Group and MSC Cruises continue to sell cruises for November. Disney Cruise Line and Virgin Voyages are still selling cruises for

Read More

Norwegian Cruise Line cancels cruises until December after CDC no-sail order extended | Money

MIAMI — Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings has canceled cruises on its three brands — Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas — until December.

The announcement comes just days after the White House overruled a plan by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to ban U.S. cruises until February 2021. Instead, the agency extended its “no-sail order” through Oct. 31. Cruise operations stopped in the U.S. in mid-March amid COVID-19 outbreaks on several ships.

Carnival Cruise Line canceled all U.S. cruises for November and December except for those that will leave from PortMiami and Port Canaveral, which are on track to restart Nov. 1. Royal Caribbean Group and MSC Cruises continue to sell cruises for November. Disney Cruise Line and Virgin Voyages are still selling cruises for December.

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings and Royal Caribbean Group teamed up to hire a group of medical experts who

Read More

3 more major cruise lines cancel sailings until at least December



a close up of a boat next to a body of water


© Provided by The Points Guy


MSN has partnered with The Points Guy for our coverage of credit card products. MSN and The Points Guy may receive a commission from card issuers.

You’ll now have to wait until at least December to take a cruise with Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises or Regent Seven Seas Cruises.

The parent company of the three brands, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings, on Monday said it would extend its halt to cruise operations through at least Nov. 30.

Until today, the company only had canceled sailings through the end of October.

For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s new cruise newsletter.

The Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings announcement comes just four days after one of the line’s biggest rivals, cruise giant Carnival, canceled most departures through January. Carnival still hopes to operate some sailings in November and December out of just two

Read More

Carnival Cruise Line Cancels Some Cruises For November And December

MIAMI, Oct. 1, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — Following the U.S. Centers for Disease Control’s (CDC) decision to extend its no-sail order for cruise operations, Carnival Cruise Line is notifying guests and travel agents that it has cancelled cruises from all U.S. homeports except Miami and Port Canaveral for November and December 2020.  While operations from Miami and Port Canaveral in November and December are still not certain, Carnival is focusing its initial return to service from those two homeports, whenever that might occur.    

Carnival continues to work on protocols and procedures that would allow for the resumption of cruise operations, with a gradual, phased-in approach, designating Miami and Port Canaveral as the first two homeports for embarkations.  Cruises currently scheduled for November and December from those two homeports will remain in place for the time being while Carnival evaluates options.  However, the cruise line is providing guests booked on

Read More